Sunday, June 20, 2010

Answering the Call

Detroit. A crew of revolutionaries are here in the wake of the murder of Aiyana Stanley-Jones, responding to a call "Detroit June 15-30 BE THERE! Put Revolution On The Map". This call is to spread revolution with the campaign from the Revolutionary Communist Party, and its message and call, The Revolution We Need.... The Leadership We Have.  We're going to bring people the leadership of this revolution- Bob Avakian and the party he leads. We're also going to unite with people to stand up and resist, and let it be known throughout the country that we are not gonna let this shit go down- the assasination of a seven year old girl and the humilation of her family, and to bring the people from the neighborhoods of Detroit, and the people coming into town for the U.S. Social Forum together mixing it up in a way they rarely have the chance to do, all as part of a movement for revolution.
When I read this call, I thought, this is really right on, this is really in line with what this revolution is all about, and this stirs me, how can I not help to make this real? When I was in college, before I became a communist, there were a lot of questions about why the world was the way it was, about how to change things, how to contribute to the betterment of human society. But it was clear in my mind then, I would be part of “saving Detroit” rescuing all the squandered potential of the people. Now, what exactly did I mean by that? How do you do it?

I used to think it could be done with the arts, bringing theater, poetry, cameras, ballet shoes, and a space to think and dream into oppressed communities. For people to be exposed to things they wouldn't normally be exposed to. For artists to come into these communities and not only dream but be part of changing reality. Now I am convinced it will take a total revolution- the kind that Bob Avakian has brought forward, to emancipate humanity. And that such a revolution would embrace spheres like the arts, and put them in a radically different context, with a radically different kind of state power that's about empowering people to transform the world and get beyond all exploitation and oppression. I say this, because I think my experience, and what compelled me, are many of the same sentiments that push and pull on the hearts and minds of people all around the country right now to get in their cars, rent buses, and even hop on their bikes so I'm told, to come to the U.S. Social Forum in Detroit. “Another World Is Possible. Another U.S. Is Necessary. Another Detroit Is Happening.” That's what the message of the conference is. I can't wait to meet them and hear their stories and discuss and debate what it will take to get to a different world.

So a group of us answered the call to put revolution on the map in Detroit, and here we are. “This is NOT the best of all possible worlds. And we do NOT have to live this way.” That's what we say. And we are bringing this revolution to the people on these languishing city streets. So here we go, stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment